Walnutport is a borough formed from an unincorporated settlement in the northwest corner of Northampton County. This area was established by the formation of Lehigh Township in 1754 by land grants from William Penn’s heirs in 1752 forming Northampton County. The first settlers were German immigrants who cleared the land, raised livestock, and established their homesteads. Many of the descendants of these early settlers would later become prominent businessmen and politicians. In the 1820’s the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company built the Lehigh Canal.
From the 1840’s to the 1860’s many business and homes were built to support the canal trade in the area. The Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad were opened through Walnutport in 1867 and required additional manpower. More homes and businesses were established to support the thriving transportation business. From the 1870’s to the early 1900’s the area gradually grew and its citizens wanted their own local governing body. In 1908 the area around Walnutport petitioned the courts to become a borough. Walnutport became a borough in 1909 separating itself from Lehigh Township.
Walnutport was always a transportation hub with the canal railroads, and highways, because of its proximity south of Lehigh Gap along the Lehigh River. From the 1950’s to the 1980’s most of the land was developed as many people and siblings of pervious landowners build homes.
Walnutport now has many businesses and townhouses. The number of housing units has grown from 150 in 1910 to over 800 in 2008. The Borough of Walnutport has a population of 2,043 at the 2000 census. The Diamond Fire Company was organized in 1893 and continues to protect the Borough with its modern equipment and trained volunteers. The WCA (Walnutport Canal association) actively works on restoration projects such as improvements to trails, parking, pavilion facilities and the Lock Tender’s House.
The WPA (Walnutport Playground Association) supports and manages athletic programs at the three athletic fields. The newly reestablished Recreation Board manages the recreation center and the pavilion. The Annual Canal Festival held each fall (3rd Sunday in October) and the Annual WPA Carnival held each summer (July) provides for fun and entertainment and raises funds to assist in their efforts.